Sunday, January 30, 2011

Chapter 7: Anniversary, the Library, and Interview Preparation

Yesterday was my two year anniversary with Aaron and we had a really good time together. We had breakfast in bed, walked through the market, visited a bookstore, bought some deliciousness at the bakery and went out to dinner at Sabrina's. Overall- a delicious anniversary. And I got some really cute and comfy slippers (very important because you have to walk outside on the porch to get to and from our room) and an awesome huge sauce pot to replace the one that was caught in the middle of a plastic water bottle melting fiasco (no one borrows my cooking stuff anymore).

Today, I decided to take some time for myself and do something I've wanted to do since I got here- visit the HUGE Philadelphia Free Library. I figured it was an awesome excuse to catch up on some homework, too. So I went on an adventure.

Now, you must realize that every time I have ventured out I either knew where I was going or had other people with me. Today, I only had a vague idea of where I was going and an even vaguer idea of how to get there. But, I was determined. I decided to take the subway for part of the way- I knew I needed to at least go a few blocks north of City Hall, and I didn't want to walk all of that.

But, I had no idea which stop to get off at.
And I didn't have a map.
And my phone was dead.

So, I asked a really nice subway worker (the first one I've met that wasn't a complete jerk) and he told me the stop that would be best. So, I hop on the subway (which I love, by the way) and get off at the Race-Vine stop.

So. Now, I'm at Race and Vine.
And...now what?

I started walking in the direction I believed I should be going. Rule #1 of navigating Philly: always pretend to know where you are going. Well, I didn't have to pretend for long, because I only needed to walk about 4 or 5 blocks and there was the library!

You can't miss it. It's one of the most lovely things I've ever seen. This building is the definition of "grand". It has huge arched windows, rows of giant columns, and takes up an entire block. Walking in, there is just this huge, open area with shoot-off corridors to different sections. They have rows and rows and shelves and shelves of anything you would ever want to read.

And the second floor is even better. Everything is interconnected and it's like a little maze of books.

I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

On the way back, I stopped and got another button down shirt. I have an interview tomorrow, which I am really excited about. Tonight I have to do more research and reading up on the organization and think about some good answers to interview questions. I'm pretty excited. The more I think about it, the more I think that this place would be a good fit for me.

I hope I have some good experiences this semester. I also hope some new doors open up. Like education careers and opportunities outside of a school. I never really thought of it before, but working full time for a non-profit or (think of it) even starting my own organization. This might be a life changing internship.

Well, wish me luck. Psh, like I need it! :P

No comments:

Post a Comment