Sunday, January 16, 2011

Chapter 1: Leaving Late, Smelling New Jersey, and Walking

To no one's surprise, we did not leave from Keesville, NY for Philadelphia, PA on time this morning. A variety of factors (including sleeping in because Aaron's dog Joe kept me up because he was chasing mice or flies or ghosts all last night) kept us behind schedule. The drive was long, but good. We laughed a lot and listened to the same songs over and over (Aaron's favorites being Michael Buble's "Everything" and "Colors of the Wind" from Pocahontas).

Driving through New Jersey was the worst. We thought we were lost (we weren't). Also, you know how everyone says that Jersey has a "smell"? Yeah. They weren't lying.

But, driving up to it, there is no missing Philadelphia. It is big in every way. Tall buildings. Big rivers. Long bridges. Getting off the highway and driving smack dab in downtown was like a deleted scene from a Hitchcock movie. A lot of streets are no bigger than alleys...with barely any lane markings- or none at all. Sometimes I thought it was a three lane street. Sometimes one lane. And once I was convinced we were not on the street at all, but on the trolley tracks -and therefore were going to die. Aaron, as always, convinced me otherwise.

We got here late. I hate being late. But we still caught all the important parts of the orientation...with Andrea filling us in with what we missed. I started meeting new people...which is always pretty rad. I can see some fun times ahead with some of these lovely people.

Now, the worst part of the day: the optional walk to South street. A walk? Yay! Let's get acquainted with this wonderful city we will be living and working in until May. Sounded like a good idea at the time.

Yeah. It wasn't.

It was right around 20 degrees. I was wearing a thin trench coat (I know, a Michigander should know better). The walk there and back took two hours. We walked at a pace that paralleled how most Olympians swim laps. And, so of course, to my complete embarrassment and utter frustration, I had an asthma attack. It all got taken care of when we got back to the hotel, of course. But, owe it to me to create a medical drama on the first day.

Let me know when I can get a commercial lung transplant.

But, overall, a good day. This life in a new city is nerve-wracking and tiring. But, by the end of the week, I will have an apartment!

Tomorrow's agenda: More walking. More walking. Ethnic food eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment