Friday, January 21, 2011

Chapter 4: Furniture Shopping, Lease Signing, and Philly Cheesesteak

The past few days have been both really busy, but also really boring. We have been walking around all day nonstop, shopping for furniture. While we were recommended by The Philadelphia Center to rent furniture...we decided to go thrifting. So we have traveled far and wide to find the best deals and the...cleanest...furniture (which is a process all by itself).

But, as it turns out, finding and buying the furniture was only the first part of the battle. Moving it is going to be a whole different battle in and of itself. I remember my dad saying something about always having friends with pick up trucks, so you can always make them help you move.

Unfortunately, those friends are not in Philly.

So, after much discussion (in which Aaron argued for carrying all the furniture to the apartment...including the mattresses, which would be almost a half an hour walk and at least 2 trips. Yeah. Right.) we decided to rent a pick up from Uhaul for 20 bucks for four hours. The boys will be picking it up and dealing with the furniture, while us girls will be making trips to and from the apartment to bring our luggage and such.

So, moving in tomorrow. Not excited. I hate moving. I'm really excited to be all settled into the apartment...but I don't want all the hassle of hauling all the furniture up the narrow staircase. And unpacking.

Sigh.

On a bright side- there is a place here in Philly called Sweet Ending. It is a frozen yogurt shop where they charge by the weight and you can pick from a variety of flavors and toppings. It is delicious. I've been twice.

I can't wait to go grocery shopping. I can't wait to cook and not eat out. I can't wait to sleep in my own bed. I can't wait, I can't wait.

I also can't wait for my internship to start. Well, I can't wait to know what it is going to be. I talked to my advisor today, and she suggested a high school that is actually just a few blocks away from my apartment that would have some great opportunities for me. We shall see.

We won't have internet in our apartment until Wednesday morning...but hopefully I will be going to coffee shops and the library in the next few days. So possibly updates? If not, I'm not dead, I just have no internet to siphon.

Also, on top of everything, I can't forget about the schoolwork! Sigh...C'est la vie. :)

OH! I almost forgot! We had our first official Philly Cheese steaks at a place on the corner of our street today while we were visiting the apartment. It was delicious! I believe the term "scarfed it down" was invented precisely for your first Philly Cheese steak. I anticipate gaining 20 pounds from eating them and walking that off in the half hour walk to and from class.

No comments:

Post a Comment